Monday, April 9, 2007

Hair Bands


When most people mention hair bands, if they are under 25, they usually think of those little elasticy things that girls put in their hair to hold it in a pony tail or pig tails. Ok here we go on a little tangent rant: why are pony tails and pig tails called as such. Pigs don't have two tails! Ok, so much for that rant. Well, hair bands are also called hair things.

"Do you have an extra hair thing? I forgot mine." She begged with much hoping, knowing her game would be totally off if she didn't do her hair in the same habitual pattern.

Well, speaking of hair bands and hair things let us take a trip together into the past. Into the days of hair... long beautiful hair. Into the days when big hair was the rage and leather pants were hot... and more than just sweaty hot, but actually hot... hot. A side note best added here is that: the picture is really just my sisters trying to be all 80's and stuff but i thought it added an "interesting" touch.

So, about hair bands.

I have an admission to make. It is not a confession, but an admission. When i was little, well in about grade 6 and 7, I was totally in love with a couple hair bands. i picked up their tapes at a garage sale for 25 cents each. i thought i was the coolest. I loved listening to the stellar guitar and the vocals that were errie, haunting and melodious at the same time. Remembering to those days, the harmonies were pretty tight too.

I decided that, since i had thrown out the tapes, and had only vague memories of the lyrics and band names i should do some research. in a mater of minutes using an 80's lyrics search engine i had found two sites of the bands i had once listened to late into the night... oh memories of rewinding and replaying my favorite songs over and over.

I was only 5 when most of those tapes came out. The year was 1988. But when i was 12 and 13, in '95 I was the coolest, listening to those hair bands. oh, hair bands, where are you now to assure me of my coolness? why am i now so concerned with money, success, and being cool... accepted? times were so simple then.

looking back at some of the lyrics, i now see some are really kinda sketchy. but still there are some meaningful ballads and sweet, sweet memories of chillin' in my room in the late nights. the songs, the lyrics and even the bands do not mean so much to me now... but the feelings, the feelings of the memories, those good times, they are what mean something to me. The memories are gray, but man they're really coming back.

As the music drifts from the speakers on on my toshiba laptop, i feel shivers and the same calm floods me every time. the harmonies envelope and cover me like familiar, loved blanket. dreaming that one day someone will dream of me with that persistence, purity and strength.

the song plays on and i now see that the lyrics read like an old country song. who ever said these guys don't have feelings and all they care about is sex hasn't heard this song, seen this heart. hair bands. beauty. pain. love. joy. dreams. delicate. timeless. but one question plagues the never ending saga: all i really want to know is why sometimes she cries when she's alone at night?

No comments: